Due to the recent increase in the cases of Influenza (Flu) that have been occurring around the state we have posted a "Flu Guide For Parents" under the important nursing information and forms sections. Please refer to this for information.
If you have any concerns please feel free to call your school nurse with questions.
Also, if your child is diagnosed with the flu please be sure to call your school nurse and let them know.
Please note the following changes in regards to BMI reporting by the nurses:
****Please note a change for this School Year (2012-2013) in regards to the BMI Notification. This school year we will also be posting your child’s BMI results for your eye’s only on the Parent Portal under your child’s information. We will also do a mailing to home address on file.
***Starting with the 2013-2014 school year your child’s BMI information will only be posted on the Parent Portal and we will not be mailing the data home to you unless you request it from your child’s school nurse.
Notice to parents from the Swansea Schools Health Department
BMI Screening will begin in each fall. This is mandated by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health based on the M.G.L. Chapter 71 Section 57 and 105 CMR 200.500 in Massachusetts. Based on the guidelines given to us by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health it is now required that the nurses calculate Body Mass Index (BMI) and corresponding percentile of each student in grades 1, 4, 7, and 10. Every effort shall be made to protect the privacy of the student during the screening process and in the communication of information about the students BMI to the parent or legal guardian.
How will BMI screening work?
· BMI is a measure that is used to show a person’s “weight for height for age”. It is calculated using an individual’s height and weight. It can be a useful tool in identifying possible health risks.
· BMI screenings are mandated by Massachusetts Laws and will be collected for students in grades 1, 4, 7 and 10.
· Parent and guardians have the right to waive their child’s BMI screening by submitting a written request to their child’s school nurse. Please note your child is still required to have an annual height and weight measurement done.
· Each student will be weighed and measured in private with no other students present.
· BMI screening results are part of your child’s health record and will be kept strictly confidential.
· Parents that have any questions about their specific child’s results should speak with their child’s school nurse or their child’s pediatrician.
· Results of the screenings will be mailed to the parent/guardian of children who are screened. This will be mailed to the home address on file.
To Improve Parent and School Communication Regarding your Child's Absence
From Mrs. Leslie Stolts
Director of Health Services
Hello, this is a message from your child's school nurse. In an effort to improve parent and school communication, please follow these guidelines when calling the school regarding your child's absence.
Leslie Stolts MSN RN,C
Director of Health Services
Hoyle School Nurse
70 Community Lane
Swansea, MA 02777
Important Nursing Information
No "Important Nursing Information" exist(s)
Department Web Pages